Saturday, July 05, 2008

Winter Down Under.

I've been in Melbourne for about 2 weeks now, but am just now really getting settled. Finding a place to live has been a nightmare because of all the students coming back for second semester. I was in a hostel for the last 10 days, but it was mainly backpackers and lunatics. The guy who slept above me was insane and paranoid.  He thought that the U.S. and Australian governments were trying to assasinate him, so I told him I was from Canada threw in an "eh and aboot" here and there and moved rooms the next night. I finally got a place to stay that is right next to the "Uni."
The city itself is really easy to adjust to. Its just like england for food and everyone has been very friendly.  My lab is easy going and really sociable just like back home. On friday's we go down to the pub for a few hours and sometimes will go to an AFL (Aussie Football League) game.
No kangaroos yet.  People say they hang around the parks sometimes, which are amazing and I'm fully enjoying each of them. I got a bike after about a week and it makes the city a million times better since public transportation is a bit expensive and slow.   I've been biking around the parks and found some interesting birds that would be as common as a raven or grackle back in the states but make prettier sounds.

The "Uni" is fantastic as well, its got a lot of old architecture with some beautiful buildings, but probably nothing compared to the buildings of Europe.
Reading Ben's post about xenophobia in Japan reminded me about this section of the newspaper that criticizes the replacement of "g'day mate" with american slang such as "sup homes."  Every week the writer attacks about some part of Aussie culture that is dying as a result of Americanization.  (They do listen to a lot of American rap down here.)  Some of the slang here is a bit confusing but not too bad.  The accents aren't a problem at all. A lot of eastern asians come down to australia during this time for vacation and some for work and it's their accent that proves the difficult one (luckily ordering from Wingnuts so much has helped.)
I'm going to a folk festival today before I have to hit the lab on monday!
'Ooray mates!
-James

3 comments:

Leah said...

Good to hear from James down-under. Very glad to hear you got the roommate problem taken care of! Thanks to the Canadians!

Good pictures too- keep it up!

me said...

Yay! Thanks for checking in, James. I think that's an Aussie magpie in your photo.

Wendy said...

Do they celebrate Christmas with pool parties?