Monday, August 18, 2008

The best part(s) about staying too long...

Before I spend my last week in lab, I took a couple days off to visit the rest of Australia. In particular Cairns (Barrier Reef) and Sydney.
In Cairns I snorkeled around the reef and saw some pretty awesome stuff.


I met up with an American who was on a 2 week leave from Iraq and had a great time with him.

After he left I hung out with a bunch of German guys. Germans are everywhere!!! We went out every night and had a blast. There were a lot of adventures with the "Einkaufwagon."

We also got some much needed sun after spending 2 months in 0 degree weather.

I got to go fishing as well. I was intending to go out in the reef or past it and do some light tackle fishing for small marlin or some other creature of the deep, but the winds picked up. They were forced to keep everything in the river, but that was still a good time. Caught a couple Baramundi and even an eel.

I had about 9 hours on my last day in cairns, which limited options on things I could do. There aren't any beaches, just swampland and the reef. So I only had 1 option...


Down in Sydney, I got to tour around the city and take lots of pictures with the Japanese tourists, including the opera house. I went to see Orlando tonight as well which was really good, but not the best.

In response to all of Miguels VW pictures I felt I would represent the wealth of Italians in Australia with the great Ferrari. I was going to take a picture of the only Australian car manufacturer (Holden) but they don't really make anything worthwile.

Tonight I'm headed out around the town, as Sydney is suppose to be the best for that!

I'm back to work for a few more days soon to finalize all my research before I make the 20 hour flight back to Atlanta where I only have friends... no mates.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Be careful with Germans and shopping carts! I know more than one German who has been injured in such shenanigans. I don't know what it is with them and shopping carts...

Great pictures, James! I can't wait to hear about your adventures in person. See you soon and good luck with your last bits of lab work.