Thursday, June 07, 2007

Greetings From Russia!

I just arrived in my lab in Moscow this past Tuesday. All I can say is that this is definitely a culture shock. Moscow State University is absolutely gorgeous. The building is huge and looks quite historic. There is one primary building and the dorms are all connected to it. The primary building has grocery stores and all kinds of different shops. It is the central hang out spot and students can always be spotted there. I am in love with the university. The weather in Moscow is also really nice. It is sunny with a light breeze. The food here is really delicious. The cafeteria is open from 8am to 8pm and you can easily eat a filling meal for four dollars. There are definitely plenty of differences. For example, there is no AC in the buildings. In my room, I leave the window open to get air in. Also until for the next 20 days, there will be no hot water in Moscow State University. Apparently, the city turns off the hot water every year for a certain period of time, so that the pipes can be fixed before winter. The lab is also not nearly as advanced. The equipment is much older and whereas, many of the tubes in the labs in Emory are considered disposable and are thrown away after one use, here these tubes are washed after every use and recycled. The people in my lab are nice and have gone out of their way to help me settle in. This weekend a few of the lab members have agreed to show me around Moscow. Additionally, i have met a few American study abroad students who I have been meeting up with. The fact that my dorm is considered an international dorm has made meeting other students all the easier. Overall, everyone has been welcoming. The lab is really extreme when it comes to working. The work day starts at 9 am and is still full at 8pm. Additionally, the concept of weekends does not seem to exist, as saturdays and sundays are considered working days. This is not what I expected, and I am slightly shocked by their extreme work ethic. I will make sure to write more about my events and tell you more about the city of Moscow after this weekend. Until next time

1 comment:

Randi said...

I'm really glad you arrived safely!@