Saturday, June 23, 2007

More from Oxford...

I really can't believe I've already been here about a month and a half. Time is going by way too quickly here. I love everything about the UK...especially the fact that everyone tells me that they love my accent!
Lab is still going amazingly well. My post-docs really are way too nice to me. On Thursday Natalia had discovered that I had coded all of her babies incorrectly, because I had been taught how to code for Nivi and no one had told me there was a difference. So I had to immediately recode about 40 babies, which I didn't really mind doing that much. It did take me about a day and a half to complete, but both of them felt so bad for me that one brought me a huge double chocolate cupcake and the other bought me some body wash and lotion. I don't think I could ever picture any of my superiors doing that for me in the States.
One thing I am learning to appreciate more is American boys. Now, I love the British accent as well as Italian, etc and I had always assumed that European boys would be very gentlemenly and proper. Not so much. The boys pretty much assume that if you talk to them, you will go home with them. They also assume that they can simply kiss you without really even knowing your name. At least boys in America tend to buy you a drink first. I know I can't really generalise as such, but I have experienced this lack of respect more here than in the States.
My coxing lessons are still going quite well. I love that I can yell at my PI and Nivi =) The only issue is that I really have to wake up quite early - around 6am to be at the river around 7am. Everyone has a cycle here, expect me, so I have to walk 45 minutes. Which brings me to another issue - cycles. They are so widespread here - everyone assumes that you have one. It's so funny to see rows and rows of cycles lined up against fences.
Another thing I find interesting here is everyone's relationship status at lab. Only two of of nine of them have a significant other who lives in the UK. One's husband lives in Montenegro and he is here now for 2.5 months and that is longest time they have spent together! One's boyfriend in in Germany, another's is in Glasgow, and one's girlfriend is in Switzerland. Even my PI's wife lives in Africa! I'm not too sure if this is because they are all from all over the world themselves and the name of Oxford pulls them in so they just continue to date long-distance, or if this is more common in grad school in general. But basically, most weekends they either travel to visit their partner or their partner comes here. This weekend, 3 of the partners traveled to Oxford, and one of the lab people went to Glasgow. They all spend a lot of quid (slang for pounds) per year traveling.
This weekend is fun for me since one of my friends from Emory is staying with me. She is on the Psych study aborad program which is in London now, so I have my first visitor this weekend and one more next weekend.
Thanks IRES!
Cheers!

No comments: