Thursday, May 22, 2008

Hey guys!!I made it to Thailand last night at 11 15 pm!Can we say humid?!! My forearms started sweating beforeI left the airport lol the food is so flavorfull but I can tell I'm going to stop being a baby about spicy food and learn to love it. Lots of rice and not a lot of meat : ( I'll come back so healthy....the portions are small too so its mandatory portion control! this will be good for me : ) Everyone eats every meal "out". I guess I would too if it were less than a dollar a meal! But seriously...the grad/post doc students don't even have kitchens! I'm still not supposed to eat fruit till my stomach adjusts but the first thing I'm going to try is sticky rice, coconut milk and mango. It's looks SO sweet and delicious.

An interesting thing I've noticed: the definition of air conditioning here is SO different. Forget bringing a sweater inside to protect you from air conditioning frost bite like in the states...at biotec there is just enough air blowing so that you can tell you're not outside but not enough to notice that it's actually on and JUST enough to keep you from breaking out into a sweat while working LOL

My room is good....the sheets are SO ridiculously white. got one channel in English...CNN....I guess I've been talking about getting more into the news huh? Here's my chance!The poeple are nice but not a lot speak English...they smile a lot tho

My mentor is from the UK...he's nice and knows a lot about a lot lol. Straight laced fellow who says things like "whilst" lol he's very helpful tho and I think I'm really going to like my research. My reserch last summer prepared me really really well even though it was unrelated.

That's all for now...I might venture out into Bangkok this weekend...don't have internet so no map and no plan...we'll see if I come back alive or not. Let's hope so : )

2 comments:

Leah said...

So happy to hear you arrived, Tiff. I was just thinking of you last night and had planned to look up your travel dates today. So good to hear from you! What kind of stuff have you started "whilst" you are in lab? How big is the lab there?
Be safe and spare no details about the food! Is it anything like our Thai food?

me said...

Leah beat me to the important question about Thai food.

I too, am relieved that you arrived safely.

And to think you thought you were going to Mexico this summer! :)

Do keep posting as access allows!