Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Things over here have been quite interesting. I arrived by bus to Glasgow on Saturday evening - the day of the airport scare. Luckily I chose that cheaper and slower option or else I wouldn't have been able to make it to the airport. There was an ERP conference in Stirling, which is a 25 minute train ride from Glasgow. My PI, his wife, Natalia (post doc), Vanja (Ph D student) and her husband had been planning to attend for quite some time. Last week I decided I would like to accompany them and I was pleased when I managed to get a spot at the conference.

It was pretty cool since I had never been to a real psychology seminar of sorts before. It only lasted 2 days but it was from 9am to 6pm and some of the speakers were really dull. I would say about half were Ph. D. students presenting their projects (like Vanja) and the rest were more like PIs, presenting research from previous papers and new experiments. The keynote speaker was actually someone who my PI at Emory looks very fondly on - we even had to read his book in lab, so it was nice to actually get to meet him.

I am leaving for a short holiday to Paris tomorrow and I will be returning Monday evening. My mom is actually really concerned about me travelling with everything that has been going over here, but I've been trying to assure her that I will be completely fine.

Work is still going well, but with all these days off from lab, I haven't been able to finish several tasks I have been given. No one seems too concerned at all though. What was pretty amusing to me was that today the PI was not in lab and everyone knew he would not be in. I had to come in to run 3 babies and only 1 person was in the lab! Everyone else was either on holiday or took the day off. So I came in late, ran my 3 kids and left to go shopping. That doesn't really ever happen, so it was a nice little break!

I am still loving it here so so much! I really do not want to leave in 4 weeks. Thanks again!

No comments: