Friday, June 20, 2008

Outside of America, there is only ONE sport

I just wanted to share with everyone my experience with soccer. I was actually getting ready to go to bed when bull horns started going off outside, along with some rallying and screaming. It turned out that the EuroCup match between Italy and France was beginning. My friends on a nearby balcony invited me and Eleonora to watch the game with them, so I did.

I can only say WOW. Granted that this was an important game, since Italy would be going home if it lost, but I was completely taken aback at just how enthusiastic everyone was. They were all screaming at the TV, anything from "Mamma Mia!" to "You're paid to kick the ball into the goal so why can't you kick the ball into the goal!?!?!?!" Each goal was followed by fireworks and more horn noises and of course, screaming and yelling. Each crucial moment in the game was accompanied by loud outbursts and swearing. Someone told me that it is no longer allowed to sell beer at the soccer stadia because too much violence would ensue.

For your viewing pleasure, I took a video of the noise in the central courtyard of my block after Italy won the game. Keep in mind that there was very little alcohol involved, at least at the apartment of my friends. There was singing, yelling, whistling, fireworks, horns, pots and pans being beaten, toilet paper streamers thrown, etc. The video is only two and a half minutes but this went on for at least half an hour. Talk about team spirit.

2 comments:

me said...

Wow! Wendy's taking it to a whole new multimedia presentation.

p.s.
I can't believe I just listened to 2+ minutes of people screaming.

Leah said...

Wendy, I am glad to see that you didn't let Tim knock you off your throne of Blog Queen- I was about to challenge you to post a video, and here it is!
Glad you got to experience a soccer game!