Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Who's the giant, fat black girl on campus?

This is often what I see on people’s faces as I walk through the campus of Tammasat University to get my dinner at one of the “food courts”. I only say fat because of my shopping experience last weekend. Hundreds, I mean hundreds of hundreds of really cute shoes around every corner at this enormous mall-like place. What do I hear half the time for my size (which is comparable to a size 8.5 mind you) “No. No biggah…no biggah” Basically, we don’t have your size Bigfoot! And my favorite thing of all….Just GUESS what size skirt I am by Thailand sizes? I just laughed and laughed in my little dressing corner as I tried it on. Do I LOOK like an XL to you? I find it very humorous.

Also, while standing on the sky train I realized I could see straight from one car to the next because I was head and shoulders over most people LOLOh, and, I can’t wear like 2/3 of the clothes I brought. This is the only thing I can really complain about lol. The skirts are tighter than they generally wear (they wear more flowy skirts) and the shirts are "professional sleeveless attire", which they don’t wear either. Other than clothing fiascos, though, everything is great!

The mango is just about to go out of season and it is SO ripe and delicious! They serve an entire, cut mango over sticky rice (VERY different from normal rice because it’s cooked with coconut milk for a lot longer so it’s really soft and sweet. But it's a natural sweet, not like candy sweet. Too good to describe but I have pictures! It’s less than a dollar for me so I’m going to get it everyday until it goes out of season : ) And the pineapple is AMAZING! I know I’m not supposed to be eating peeled fruit...I tried to abstain….like…a week almost. Besides, my immune system is extremely resilient. All those snacks I ate from between the couch cushions, or the food I ate off the floor or the food I salvaged by digging out the mold made me immune to whatever sickness you're supposed to get from eating peeled fruit! I'm in heaven : )

3 comments:

me said...

Tiffany, that was hilarious!!

Leah said...

Tiffany! This is fantastic, so many great observations. Great to hear from you and glad to hear you are doing well! Are you getting XL results in the lab too?! :-)

PR said...

Mangoes are a gift from the heavens. I am soooo envious.
Enjoy more for me.