Wednesday, May 23, 2007

from Paris now =)

So much has happened in the last three days I don't even know where to begin...

My flight arrived on Monday in the early morning and it took me far too long to find my way to the Pasteur Institute. I will never bring a suitcase larger than a carry-on ever again. I found my supervisor, Dr. Thomas Kufer, who introduced me to all 30 people in my lab and the PI (Dr. Sansonetti).....they take up almost the entire floor!!! Many of them speak at least a little bit of English, and Dr. Kufer is fluent in French, German, and English, so he helps me in our very multi-national lab. My French is utterly horrible, but I've managed to survive these 3 days.

Other than the excessive paperwork, the French keyboards, and doors that don't open unless you press buttons (even to get out!), I do love the Pasteur. Dr. Kufer gave me an overview of my project on Monday. Yesterday (Tues.) he explained all of his current research to me as well as my own project, and I started my first experiment. Today I saw the biggest microscopes I've ever seen...they were really really cool. oh...and they take 2 hour lunch breaks =)

Today while going back to the Residence, another trainee stares at my Emory shirt and asks "are you from Georgia?" in a perfect Southern accent. It turns out she is a UGA student in the Zuccaire program who also can't understand a word of French. I was so thrilled to find another undergrad =) We met up with another Zuccaire fellow, hopped onto the Metro, and spent a few hours exploring the Louvre.

That's plenty for now............ au revoir!

1 comment:

PR said...

I thought your French was GOOD!!!!
Do try to hang out with non-Georgia residents as well!!
How is the bread? And oh, eat a few croissants for me.