Thursday, May 31, 2007

I love Paris =)

So it's nearing the end of my 2nd week in my lab, and I'm almost done with cloning my 3 constructs...yay! (I wish everything works this easily back at home.) No, most people don't drink wine at lunch, but we do always eat with our own lab. It makes it difficult to get to know people from other labs. They also eat very early...around 11:30, and lunch is the biggest meal for them. I haven't quite adjusted to that yet; I still eat everything in sight around 11pm like any good American college student. Since everyone in my lab is at least 26, many have families and don't go out to drink after work, though today they took me out to a pub because they can't get over the fact that I can't drink in the US (legally at least). I discovered that European beers are much stronger than American beers, but they're much better.



As for addressing other people in my lab... I've finally managed to call my mentor (head of our subgroup) by first name, Thomas, though it's a bit awkward sometimes. As for my PI, everyone refers to him by Philippe when he's not around, but in person, it's always jokingly "the boss" so I've decided to err on the safe side and always call him Dr. Sansonetti. Hierarchy is very prominent at the Pasteur, and even the PhD students don't really talk directly to the PI, so as the only undergraduate in the lab, I usually go to my mentor...who luckily is in charge of our portion of the lab and gets pestered with questions from everybody, including me.



Everyone in the lab seems to be surprised that I'm 20 and an undergraduate, but there are pros and cons. They don't expect as much from me (I'm allowed to screw up on my first try) and they are always willing to help me when I don't understand something. It's annoying in that they tend to keep a very close eye on me when I'm working and stare over my shoulder make sure I'm doing it right (talk about pressure). On the first day, Thomas actually said "Oh good, you know how to pipet." He's always worried about leaving me on my own, but I think I'm starting to convince him that I know enough to be a little more independent.



Alrighty, that's enough about my lab for now... Here's a view from my room...I have plenty more pictures on Facebook. =)



az

P.S. and yes, thank you SOOOOO much IRES =)

No comments: