Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I've moved into a new housing situation and I'm already enjoying myself much more. I now have three fun, energetic and nice roommates, so I am very happy. Two of them are from Germany and one is Brazilian. They are all "occupational trainees" (like me) at different departments here at UQ. One of them is actually in my department, so that has been convenient. I'm the youngest by five years, but they are all very happy to have me in the house because I am a walking dictionary for them.



Everything in the lab is going well. Sometimes when my PI talks I don't know what he is talking about, but it is okay because the postdoc that works for him doesn't understand him either :). I also had one of the postdocs in the chemistry group that we collaborate with tell me he doesn't understand him either. I'm learning how to use several different variations of my technique, but not very much about the samples. I run the machines all by myself, but if I have to use liquid nitrogen I have to have someone help me set it up, because the container is too heavy for my to carry after I fill it up. I've learned how to use a completely new cavity and now I can run it by myself and do a good job! I've been working a lot and I don't get home until fairly late, but my work is not very intense throughout the whole day just at some points. Socially I don't really fit in with my lab, considering there are only three of us (me, my PI, and the postdoc) but I've made friends with quite a few postdocs in the department and I've gotten the postdoc I work with to come out of his shell a bit. I'm really enjoying no homework! I think a 9-5 job would be great for me. Hope everyone is having a productive and fun summer.

No comments: